Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Dalkeith Thistle FC app


Dalkeith Thistle FC - Match centre

Dalkeith Thistle FC
Bonnyrigg Rose
Sat 5 Jan 13:30 - League Full time Attendance 358

Jags lose to Bonnyrigg


The Jags welcomed neighbours Bonnyrigg Rose on Saturday for their first match of 2019 in front of a sizable crowd at Kings Park.

The Jags were without a number of key personnel and drafted 18 year old Euan Mitchell into the starting line up for his debut in the first team from the Under 20s who also supplied Jake Grandison and Nicholas Weir who took up positions on the bench.

Bonnyrigg started on the front foot and found themselves ahead on four minutes with a goal from the penalty spot after Shaun Murray fouled Lewis Turner. Lee Curry made no mistake from the spot kick sending James McQueen the wrong way.

This was not the start The Jags wanted and they did well to hold firm in the face of relentless pressure from the visitors with near misses coming from Lewis Turner and Keith Lough both coming close to extending their lead.

The second goal wasn’t long in coming though and The Jags will be disappointed in the manner they conceded. McGachie had won a corner and when the ball was swung in from the right Euan Moyes had a free header from 6 yards in the centre of goal which he dispatched past the flailing arms of McQueen.

The Jags looked like they were on their way to a repeat of the 6-0 scoreline when the sides last met, however, they dug deep and the ever lively Paul Tansey gave the visiting support a fright when he played a neat one two with Stephen Scott before lashing in a low shot from the edge of the box which flashed just past the upright with Young well beaten.

Bonnyrigg came back again as they sought to seal the points before halftime but both McGachie and Lough squandered good chances to send the teams into the break with the visitors leading by 2 goals to nil.

The second half was a much more event affair as the Bonnyrigg seemed to take their foot off the gas and slowly The Jags started to exert a bit of pressure of their own inside the Bonnyrigg half. Stephen Scott saw a shot from 18 yards gathered by the keeper before Mikey Hunter threatened with a good header.

But then in 67 minutes The Jags gave themselves some hopes of an unlikely come back when they pulled a goal back. Paul Tansey galloped down the left wing before delivering a low driven cross which eluded everyone and looked to be heading out of play before being rescued by Blake Wales. Wales then fed Mikey Hunter and as he turned away past a defender he had his legs taken away from under him. No doubt about the penalty awarded and Neil Jancyzk stepped up to score past Young.

The game was much more even now but The Jags just couldn’t get the ball into dangerous areas to trouble the visitors and on 72 minutes McGachie could have killed the game but for a great save from James McQueen.

The Jags had one last chance on 82 minutes when Tansey say his shot from distance easily gathered by Young and Bonnyrigg saw out the remainder of the game comfortably.

Dalkeith: McQueen, Murray, Mitchell, McGlashen, Connell, Janczyk Wales, Hunter, Tansey Scott, Lister. Subs: Glenholmes, Muir, Smith, Grandison, Weir, Easton.
Bonnyrigg: B Young, Kerr, Horne, Moyes, Brett, Turner, Stewart, Currie, Brown, McGachie, Lough subs: Andrews, Hoskins, Martyniuk, Nelson, Swanson, Wilson, Gray.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors

Club sponsors